Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61

Thread: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    I'm just thinking out loud here, please bear with me folks!

    I'm convinced....in my own mind that the Realistic "Mach One" speaker was inspired by Altecs flagship home speaker. Yes, the nineteen. Why? Well, think about it. In the 1970's....home audio was all the rage.....big powerful amps....big speakers....it was a kind of battle between the manufactors, to see who could out-do the other. Remember the "reciever wars" during the mid to late 70's? All the players were leaders in the market. Big names to be sure. Even Radio Shack got into that "war" (late however)...with their STA-2000 receiver.....with a "Whopping" 75 wpc. Radio Shack was a "follower" in the home audio market. They followed the leaders. They wanted IN!!
    Poor Radio Shack, definetly a leader with respect to the amount of stuff they sold to the masses, and I'm not just talking about Hi-Fi. CB radios, for example, and lets not forget the wonderful (for it's time) TRS-80 computer. So, why do I say "poor Radio Shack"?

    Because Radio Shack never really got the proper respect among audiophiles that the others like JBL, Infinity....Klipsch & others....including of course Altec....DID. Respect they felt was deserved. But lets face it, Radio Shack sold ZILLIONS of speakers, but mostly to the masses whom just wanted a loud & pretty walnut veneer box in their living room.
    So.....here's what I think must have happened. Somewhere....somehow....Tandy Corporation marketing guys got wind (or a LOOK) at Altecs New Flagship home speaker system. They then got their engineers to work on a......15" woofer system having a sectoral horn on top! Heck, they even threw in a super tweeter....for a system costing 200 bucks each. "It Can't miss!!"......they might have thought. Keep in mind also, that Radio Shacks Mach One was introduced in 1976......same year as you-know-what!

    Well....they were right. Radio Shack sold lots of Mach One speakers. Millions maybe,
    I'll bet....or am sure that it out sold Altecs nineteen. To be sure.....the Mach One is NOT a copy of Altecs nineteen. It's not even a scaled down replica. The two are not even in the same league.....BUT....the inspiration is there. Even the two VERY obvious level controls are outlined in silver! Look and tell me you do not SEE it.


    36

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Just my .02 here as i grew up with a RS franchise, we were store number B-204.

    The Mach One was a direct competitor for the top dogs in Pioneer's CS series and Sansui's SP series of which several used sectored horns. I rather doubt there was much significant competition between Altec and any of the Japanese firms, i think Altec's sights were aimed just a little higher. I think in the late 60's - early 70's that the Altec sectorals were an influence on the industry as a whole, possibly even seen by many as the new "standard" in HF reproduction.

    I completely agree with your sentiments Russ, whether coincidental or intentional the basic similarities are undeniable.

    Where Radio Shack was really an innovator was in the marketing and advertising departments, they were masters of "getting you in the store". Lifetime guarantee vacuum tubes, free battery club, and monthly loss leaders, with flier printing and distribution that cost the franchise holder nothing really made for a business model with an edge.

    We were a smaller "associate" type franchise which allowed us to source from independant distributors and offer other name brands in the same retail space. We were probably one of the only RS stores that you could buy a new Pioneer or Sansui receiver and Altec speakers from. Due mainly to demographics, i was never privvy to the larger gear, we carried models 1 thru 9, and would occasionally sell a pair of 15's by special order. The same was true with source components as well, our mainstays were from the bottom to the middle of the line with an occasional "big boy" being sold by special order.

    As many times as i've chided RS for their mediocrity, i cannot deny that i have them to thank for many fond and priceless memories during my impressionable years. They have done much over the years to foster interest and promote education in all things electronic.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    I have to agree with both of you.

    Altec was top dog at the time. And imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

    I don't know if the plan was to copy, as much as shoot for a general look. People would be impressed by Altecs, so the idea I think was to have them think "Oh that looks just like that real expensive speaker."
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Well, without trying to diss RS (I was a happy customer for years), AFAIK, they never engineered or manufactured anything that crossed their shelves, it was all contracted from others, much like WalMart. I know RCA was a major supplier at times, but it would be interesting to know who really designed and built the products.
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    A lot of RS Hi-fi was Japan.

    Their musical instrument stuff was Utah, till Utah went belly up. Not sure after that. But it got cheaper and lighter built.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    I don't know if the plan was to copy, as much as shoot for a general look. People would be impressed by Altecs, so the idea I think was to have them think "Oh that looks just like that real expensive speaker."
    THAT....is what I think Radio Shack's intentions were. Check out the ad type:

    "Realistic LOWERS the cost of thrilling theatre-type sound!"


    37

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post

    As many times as i've chided RS for their mediocrity, i cannot deny that i have them to thank for many fond and priceless memories during my impressionable years. They have done much over the years to foster interest and promote education in all things electronic.
    Very true, sir! I sure don't intend to put-down Radio Shack with my posting, or....I hope it don't come across that way. Their STA-2000 reciever I mention in my post was actually a very nice unit. It did get some postive reviews among the audio magazines of the day. While their electronics were not bad at all.....they just did not have that aura of quality that say, Pioneer, Sansui. or Marantz did.

    Having said that, I still today regard their speakers as , well....I'll just say it. Their speakers sucked. The first speaker I ever bought with my own money....as a kid in high school....was their "Optimus 5B". Worked at McDonalds after school to pay for them. I hated them within a month after getting them! So...I suppose that while I AM putting down RS speakers.....they did make some nice stuff.

    Regards,
    Russ

  8. #8
    HB Super Moderator
    Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    Quote Originally Posted by Russnohio View Post
    Very true, sir! I sure don't intend to put-down Radio Shack with my posting, or....I hope it don't come across that way. Their STA-2000 reciever I mention in my post was actually a very nice unit. It did get some postive reviews among the audio magazines of the day. While their electronics were not bad at all.....they just did not have that aura of quality that say, Pioneer, Sansui. or Marantz did.

    Having said that, I still today regard their speakers as , well....I'll just say it. Their speakers sucked. The first speaker I ever bought with my own money....as a kid in high school....was their "Optimus 5B". Worked at McDonalds after school to pay for them. I hated them within a month after getting them! So...I suppose that while I AM putting down RS speakers.....they did make some nice stuff.

    Regards,
    Russ
    Hi Russ, I agree with you.The easy part was putting them out to the curb,the hard part was working that month to pay for them. Regards Have a Great Day !!!

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    154
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    In recent years I think Radio Shack has been inspiring "Altec."

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2006
    Posts
    139
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Did Altec inspire Radio Shack???

    I recall the Mach One though horn-equipped was relatively inefficient, less than 90 dB/w/m. Hard to see how with the 15-inch woofer and horn HF unit.
    I liked the way RS stores, at least in Canada, had a rack of catalogs by the entrance, and "good, better, best systems" in the front pages. Arthur Fiedler lent his endorsements, or was it Peter Nero?
    The stores had an alluring smell, that of actual oiled wood used to the company's credit in most of their enclosures. Speakers were lined up, largest at the ends, in mirror-imaged pairs getting smaller toward the centre, usually on the floor along one of the the store's longer walls.
    I read on one of the tube boards that Fisher made receivers for RS in the late 50's, maybe the early 60's SS era.
    In Canada they were bought out by Circuit City, and re-tagged The Source. When Circuit City fell on hard times (or did I dream that?) The Source stores somehow survived to this day, more like bargain-basement dollar-store type electronics marts than the old RS franchises, but I can still buy resistors there.
    One good thing now is they don't ask for your address and phone number "for the warranty" or whatever.
    Jon Archibald

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.